After careful consideration it has been decided to go on with the Laugavegur ultra marathon as originally planned on July 17th, despite volcanic ash which covers the route.
Race staff has inspected the last part of the route which was most heavily affected. Conditions were judged good enough to carry on with the race plan especially when taken into account that conditions will almost certainly improve in the coming month. In dry weather, conditions can be difficult. Dust can in that case be airborne from runners on the path or if the wind is strong it can be blown up from the surrounding area and form a dust storm. As this dust is directly originated from volcano activity it can be more harmful to breathe in than normal dust. People with asthma are especially sensitive to this kind of dust.
In the case of dry weather the days before the race and strong wind on race day it is likely that the race will be cancelled. In that case registered runners will be granted priority registration in 2011. Cancelation rules apply regardless of all this. If registered runners cancel their registration before July 1st, half the registration fee will be refunded.
In the time up to the race staff will monitor the route extra carefully, especially during the week before the race. By doing so it is hoped that runners can be informed in reasonable detail about the conditions on the route.
As the world has heard there was a volcano eruption in Eyjafjallajökull in South Iceland earlier this year that has made an impact on people´s lives in the past months. Although the eruption has stopped, ash from the eruption now covers a big area around the volcano. Unfortunately for us the Laugavegur trail lies through this area and we are at this moment uncertain whether the Laugavegur Ultra Marathon can be held as planned. An alternative plan has been put forward with the finish in our historic site of Thingvellir national park (www.thingvellir.is) which lies 60 km east of Reykjavik. The running distance of the alternative route will be around 50 km like the Laugavegur trail. We will do our upmost to hold up the standard of the race in every aspect.
You will receive another letter next week informing you of our decision regarding the running route. By then we will have inspected the Laugavegur trail and made a decision whether it can be run as planned. If we decide to run the Laugavegur trail there is no need for further action on your behalf. If on the other hand we will be forced to abort that route we will inform you about our plans regarding the alternative route and ask you to respond if you are interested in running the alternative route.
According to registration conditions you can get 50% of the registration fee refunded if you decide to cancel your registration before July 1st. In order to make our job easier if it comes to having to use the alternative route we will ask you to respond as soon as possible, preferably before June 24th.