As stated in the race rules all participants that reach the Álftavatn lake cabin (22 km) after the 4 hours cut off time or the Emstrur cabin (38 km) after the 6 hours and 15 minutes cut off time cannot continue the race with no exceptions. Race officials and volunteers have no authority to make any exceptions to this rule, it is the same for everybody.
Over the last few years, we have had a high increase in participants that have not been able to be within the given time limits. Therefore we feel the need to encourage everyone to study the race rules and the race plan and make sure that they are training for the event accordingly and planning their participation as expected.
Conditions and organisation by Álftavatn lake cabin and Emstrur cabin are as follows:
- Due to security reasons, participants that must stop because of the cut off time rules or injuries are on the organizer's responsibility and are there for not allowed to continue on their own.
- The check-in points in Álftavatn and Emstrur are not equipped with anything but the most necessary safety gear.
- Participants cannot expect to be able to go into the cabins during the race.
- If a participant does not arrive at the checkpoints before the cut-off time, race officials will write down their name and race number and assist them through the next steps of the process.
- There are no spare dry clothes for the participants at the check in points and there will be no extra food at the drinking station, only what is provided at all drinking stations for every runner.
- Participants will be transported from Emstrur to Hvolsvöllur and from there to Reykjavík. Participants can expect anything between a quick stop and a few hour wait at Hvolsvöllur on their way to Reykjavík.
- Participants can also expect a delay on leaving from Álftavatn and Emstrur. The duration of the trip down to Hvolsvöllur can be 2-3 hours.
- Race officials in Húsadalur, Þórsmörk will try to get information as quickly as possible about those who are no longer taking part in the race to inform friends and family that are waiting for them by the finish line. Hectic phone reception between Emstrur and the finish area can affect how quickly the updates reach our staff.
- It is not possible to transport participants from Emstrur or Álftavatn into Húsadalur, Þórsmörk due to how long time it takes. If participants that have to quit the race want to get to the finish line, they can take the bus going from Hvolsvöllur to Húsadalur, Þórsmörk (2-3 hour drive). Estimate arrival time at the finish line would be 19:00-20:00 but can change due to weather. Please note that the last race bus leaves from there to Reykjavik at 20:00.
- All luggage from participants that are no longer in the race and was put in the transport bus going from the start to the finish line is transported straight to Reykjavik as long as it had a the participants race number tag attached to it.
- Participants that are not able to get to the finish line and have paid for the dinner buffet before hand, will not be able to get a refund.