The 2016 Suzuki Midnight Sun Run took place tonight. The weather was perfect for running, light wind and no rain. Three course records were set; in the male half marathon, female 10k and female 5k.
The total number of registered participants was 2640, 1247 in the 5k, 782 in the 10k and 611 in the half marathon. Never before have so many runners from outside Iceland participated in the race, they were around 900 from 50 different countries. Most of the international guest came from USA, UK, Canada and Germany.
First three finishers in each distance are the following:
Half marathon - male
1. Benjamin P Zywicki (USA), 01:07:47
2. Kári Steinn Karlsson, 01:09:29
3. Harry Lupton (IRL), 1:13:25
Benjamin won the half marathon on a new course record.
Half marathon - female
1. Sigrún Sigurðardóttir, 01:33:23
2. Helen Keeley (GBR), 01:33:50
3. Bergey Stefánsdóttir, 01:34:54
Sigrún ran on the course 4th best time.
10k - male
1. Ingvar Hjartarson, 33:57
2. Hugi Harðarson, 34:39
3. Þórólfur Ingi Þórsson, 35:32
Ingvar ran on the course 4th best time
10k - female
1. Arndís Ýr Hafþórsdóttir, 37:40
2. Andrea Kolbeinsdóttir, 38:55
3. Helga Guðný Elíasdóttir, 39:47
Arndís won the 10k on a new course record.
5k - male
1. Aaron Rowe (USA), 15:44
2. Sigurjón Ernir Sturluson, 16:59
3. Maxime Fages-Lartaud (FRA), 17:24
Aaron ran on the course 2nd best time
5k - female
1. Guðlaug Edda Hannesdóttir, 18:00
2. Olivia Sidock (CAN), 19:29
3. Hrönn Guðmundsdóttir, 20:02
Guðlaug Edda won the 5k on a new course record.
Total results and results in each age group can be found here.
Photographers from the web hlaup.is (run.is) took photos of many runners on the course. They will post their photos next week. Photos that the race staff took are available here on the web site and also on Facebook and Instagram.